Local Carers Information
Carers Health Support Worker
Hello my name is Ann Quinn and I’m a Carers Health Support Worker. I work for West Cumbria Carers, we are a registered charity and our aim is to support people who care for someone who could not manage without their help.
My particular role within the organisation is to work alongside GP’s in Copeland specifically, to identify new Carers and support their needs. An important part of my role is to provide information on all aspects of caring and signpost Carers to support services in addition to encouraging Carers to prioritise their own health and well being.
So, ask yourself am I a Carer?
Many people don’t consider themselves to be in a caring role. Some people may only see themselves as a Husband, Mum, Brother, Son or Daughter!
So, do you do any of the following for a friend, member of the family or even a neighbour who couldn’t manage without your help?
- Housework or shopping
- Handling money matters
- Hospital and surgery
- Personal care, such as washing and dressing
if you do, then YOU ARE A CARER!
So what sort of support do West Cumbria Carers provide?
Our service is FREE and is given in many different ways, we:
- Support Groups – meet people in similar situations
- Carers Assessment –This is an opportunity for you to meet with a support worker to discuss your role and identify any support we may be able to offer
- Emergency Card (called contingency planning) – To give reassurance of support for the person you care for if you become ill or have an emergency.
- Activities – Various activities to support carers health and understanding
- Quarterly newsletters – information sharing of topics that affect Carers generally
- Benefits support
- Trips, outings and social events – an opportunity for time out of you caring role
- Counselling & Volunteer Support Services
You can ask any member of staff within the practice to refer you to our organisation, so please ask for more information in the surgery. I can come to the practice on the last Friday of each month for an appointment between 2.00pm and 4.00pm, please ask reception to book this. Alternatively you can call myself or one of my colleagues at West Cumbria Carers on 01900 821976